From CommonJS Spec Wiki
This wiki is a starting point for collecting up ideas, any draft API suggestions for the CommonJS group. Discussions occur on that mailing list and on IRC (#commonjs on freenode).
This is a list of issues currently being discussed / standardized. They come from the "Low level" department, as we need to have solid basics prior to building a tower.
- Uniform Baseline / Globals (discussion)
- Modules (1.1.1)
binary: Binary Data Objects (byte arrays and/or strings) (proposals, discussion, early implementations)
encodings: Encodings and character sets (proposals, discussion, early implementations)
io: I/O Streams (proposals, discussion)
fs-base: Filesystem (proposals, discussion, early implementations)
system: System Interface (stdin, stdout, stderr, &c) (1.0, amendments proposed)
test: Unit Testing (1.0, amendment proposals pending)
sockets: Socket I/O TCP/IP sockets (early proposals)
event-queue: Reactor Reactor/Event Queue (early proposals)
worker: Worker Worker (concurrent shared nothing process/thread) (proposal)
console: console (proposal)
- Packages (1.0)
- Package Mappings (proposal)
- Web Server Gateway Interface (JSGI) (proposals, discussion, early implementations)
- Promises (proposal)
- Language and Runtime Services
- Relational database interface
- ResultSets (collections of data maybe from RDBMS, maybe from other sources)
- String / ByteString I/O
- C unified API to our Target Platforms
- Subprocesses (popen)
This is the collection of APIs that implement common functionality on top of the low-level API.
|Implementations||Standards||Proposals and standards in development|
- mob is implementing SecurableModules in Ejscript http://www.ejscript.org
- pmuellr posted a sample loader for SecurableModules: http://wiki.github.com/pmuellr/modjewel
- atul varma has a SecurableModule implementation for Python/Spidermonkey: http://hg.toolness.com/pydertron/raw-file/tip/docs.html
- Alexandre implements several commonJS standards in Wakanda (SquirrelFish) http://www.wakandasoft.com
- Titanium is in the process of adding support for CommonJS. http://www.appcelerator.com
- CommonJS tests compatible with this test framework.